History Of Greenwich Rotary
 
In December 1920, a small group of Greenwich business and professional men felt it was time to have a men's luncheon where views on business and community affairs could be discussed. They felt that the ideal of Rotary "Service Above Self" seemed to meet their needs. Founded in 1905 by Chicago lawyer Paul Harris, Rotary was a fairly new organization on its way to becoming both a national and international entity.
 
A Committee was formed to determine the feasibility of establishing a Greenwich Rotary Club. It consisted of a business leader, the president of a bank, the headmaster of Brunswick School, an attorney and an architect. After much research and visitation of other Rotary Clubs already formed, the first meeting of Greenwich Rotary was held at Horseneck Tavern on March 25, 1921. Twenty-four men became the charter members of the Club.
 
The club held luncheon meetings once a week and these have continued without interruption since the founding date. Dr. Charles Jensen DDS, Dr. Ralph Bologna, an Optomitrist and Todd Kennedy, owner of Kennedy's Nursery have been continuous members for over 50 years. Once Rotary began admitting women, Maureen O'Shea joined Greenwich Rotary in 1989.
 
From its very early years, Greenwich Rotary has supported programs for the youth of the community. In December, 1921, the club hosted a Christmas party for the Boys Club and has continued to financially support the Holiday Party for the now Boys and Girls Club since that time. Scholarships have been awarded annually to graduates from Greenwich High School (currently three $5000 scholarships are awarded yearly).